Dienstag, 13. September 2016

From New York to Berlin: Life as a come-backer


Hi, 

my name is Annette and I am a violinist and German. I spent almost 12 years in the USA, 9 of those as a New York resident, 3 of them as a touring musician. I decided to return to my home country and life chose Berlin for me.

Now it’s been a month and I realize there are things that I need to get used to again, even though I grew up that way.

These are the one’s that stand out for me the most:
 

Hippies and punks still exist in reality, not just in movies!!
  • I can’t believe they still exist!!! Barefoot-non-working-men-and-women-polishing-their-nails-in-the-subway-however-not-hungry-people everywhere….
  • Even the musicians and artists in NYC dress pretty presentable on a regular basis- I believe you wouldn't survive otherwise! 

    People love being naked!
  • I went to a lake somewhere outside of Berlin and about 90 % of all forms, ages, heights presented itself naked!
  • I admit I was slightly uncomfortable with this situation wondering if it’s ok to look at everybody openly or if I would be considered voyeuristic and instead mainly stare at the beautiful sky or anywhere but at the people?
  • I had clearly been un-Germanized-I didn't use to be uncomfortable! 

    People really take their free time!
  • I see people spending hours drinking a coffee at a neighborhood place in the middle of the day!
  • People keep telling me “don’t stress, calm down, no need to rush, vacation vacation vacation”...This is something I need to understand again-in New York that would be unacceptable-or worse you may lose your job if you choose a slower pace

    Rules are rules are rules are rules are rules……..
  • Since being back I have had so many conversations about rules in general-in a working environment or how to behave on the streets, in your apartment etc…
  • It freaks me out a bit- I am expecting to be yelled at when on my bike at any given moment (and I have been yelled at for crossing a green pedestrian traffic light with my bike-notice there was no specific bike traffic light and it was green light-so what was I doing wrong???)
  • But also I notice that the rules are so complicated that people find ways to stretch them-it’s a necessity to make things work. 

    Customer service-what a difference!
  • while in the US in general you get the shortest answer with the least effort, often from people that don’t know more than you (how many times did I get wrong answers about my phone service, taxes etc by so-called professionals!)...
  • ...In Germany they tend to give you as much information as possible whether that’s relevant or not for your situation-so out of a ½ hour conversation you have to filter out the 10 % information that really matters

    Drinking and smoking
  • there are still quite a few bars where smoking is ok-smoking is still cool!
  • You are not considered an alcoholic if you have a beer at 11 am!


What are your thoughts? Would love to hear them!


All my best,


Annette


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen